Researchers get more funding
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 30,2012
Research teams that include University of Southern Mississippi professors Dr. Daniel Savin and Dr. Joseph Griffitt have received additional grant funding to study the effects of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) recently announced that funding had been approved for 19 grants, which equates to approximately $20 million that will be awarded to researchers over the next three years.
Savin, assistant professor of polymer science and engineering, is lending his expertise to a team that includes Tulane University researchers Scott M. Grayson and Wayne Reed. The team received a little more than $1,000,000 for its project titled “Development of Cost-Efficient and Concentration-Independent Dispersants for Improved Oil Spill Remediation.” Savin and his group of Southern Miss graduate/undergraduate students will receive approximately $322,000 from the grant to conduct research related to the project.
Griffitt, assistant professor in the Department of Coastal Sciences at Southern Miss, is working with a team that includes University of Connecticut professors Christopher Perkins and Thijs Bosker and Purdue University professor Maria S. Sepulveda. The team’s grant-funded project is titled “The Combined Effect of Environmental and Anthropogenic Stressors on Fish Health.” Or, as Griffitt explains, “Looking at how environmental factors (salinity and hypoxia) alter fish response to oil exposure.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino