Lawsuit brought against former Hercules plant over pollution
by Associated Press
Published: October 4,2012
Tags: air pollution, air quality, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, contaminant, court, ecosystem, environment, health, lawsuit, legal, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, plant, pollution, public health, wildlife
HATTIESBURG — Eleven plaintiffs, including a Hattiesburg church, have filed a lawsuit in an ongoing dispute over pollution from the old Hercules facility.
Ashland Inc. of Covington, Ky., purchased Hercules in 2008. It has not yet responded to the lawsuit filed in federal court in Hattiesburg.
Local residents have complained for years about pollution from the plant.
Opening in 1923, Hercules manufactured myriad products including modified resins, synthetic rubber and agricultural pesticide. It closed in December 2009.
In 2011, the Environmental Protection Agency ordered Ashland to conduct on- and off-site testing after the EPA found benzene and several other hazardous materials in groundwater, soil samples and sediment tested by the agency that year.
The plaintiffs claim their properties are “hydrogeologically downgradient” from the facility, according to the lawsuit.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Lawsuit brought against former Hercules plant over pollution”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip