Ground broken for new intermodal transit facility
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 5,2012
NATCHEZ — Ground has been broken for the Natchez Regional Intermodal Transit Facility at the corner of Wood Avenue and North Shields Lane.
The City of Natchez is partnering with MDOT and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to develop a state-of-the-art, multi-use, regional intermodal transportation center that is being jointly supported with an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant, state funds from MDOT and local matching contributions from the city.
The facility is designed to be a regional passenger transfer hub, a modern maintenance center and a regional transportation call-and-dispatch center. It will include a park-and-ride lot, space for secure vehicle parking, a regional training classroom along with retail space for operators of private transportation services.
The Natchez Transit System (NTS) is a key component of the Southwest Mississippi Accessible Regional Transportation (SMART) Coordinated Services system. This system provides a variety of transportation services in Southwest Mississippi. The new facility will provide training opportunities, ready access to maintenance services and vehicle sharing along with automated routing and dispatching capabilities for SMART members.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability