Ground broken for new intermodal transit facility
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 5,2012
NATCHEZ — Ground has been broken for the Natchez Regional Intermodal Transit Facility at the corner of Wood Avenue and North Shields Lane.
The City of Natchez is partnering with MDOT and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to develop a state-of-the-art, multi-use, regional intermodal transportation center that is being jointly supported with an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant, state funds from MDOT and local matching contributions from the city.
The facility is designed to be a regional passenger transfer hub, a modern maintenance center and a regional transportation call-and-dispatch center. It will include a park-and-ride lot, space for secure vehicle parking, a regional training classroom along with retail space for operators of private transportation services.
The Natchez Transit System (NTS) is a key component of the Southwest Mississippi Accessible Regional Transportation (SMART) Coordinated Services system. This system provides a variety of transportation services in Southwest Mississippi. The new facility will provide training opportunities, ready access to maintenance services and vehicle sharing along with automated routing and dispatching capabilities for SMART members.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form