Trace bridge bid comes in $1.4M higher than expected
Published: October 5,2012
TUPELO — The lowest bid to build a bridge over the Natchez Trace Parkway came in $1.4 million higher than expected.
Officials tell the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal members of the Major Thoroughfare Committee will discuss the bids on Oct. 8 before taking a proposal to the city council.
The bridge is part of the city’s northern loop road project.
Three companies submitted bids with the lowest coming in a $7.4 million from Madison-based Key Constructors. The five-lane, 320-foot bridge had been estimated to cost $6 million during an analysis done nearly two years ago.
The Major Thoroughfare Program is funded by a 10-mill property tax.
The road commonly is called the northern loop and must cross both the Natchez Trace and U.S. 78.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation also must authorize the deal because the project will receive federal funds administered by the state.
If all goes as planned, construction of the bridge could begin by mid- to late November. The project is expected to take 16 months.
The bridge over U.S. 78 could start later this year or early next year.
The entire northern loop is 4.5 miles long and paid mostly through revenues generated by the Major Thoroughfare tax levy.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point