Trace bridge bid comes in $1.4M higher than expected
by Associated Press
Published: October 5,2012
TUPELO — The lowest bid to build a bridge over the Natchez Trace Parkway came in $1.4 million higher than expected.
Officials tell the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal members of the Major Thoroughfare Committee will discuss the bids on Oct. 8 before taking a proposal to the city council.
The bridge is part of the city’s northern loop road project.
Three companies submitted bids with the lowest coming in a $7.4 million from Madison-based Key Constructors. The five-lane, 320-foot bridge had been estimated to cost $6 million during an analysis done nearly two years ago.
The Major Thoroughfare Program is funded by a 10-mill property tax.
The road commonly is called the northern loop and must cross both the Natchez Trace and U.S. 78.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation also must authorize the deal because the project will receive federal funds administered by the state.
If all goes as planned, construction of the bridge could begin by mid- to late November. The project is expected to take 16 months.
The bridge over U.S. 78 could start later this year or early next year.
The entire northern loop is 4.5 miles long and paid mostly through revenues generated by the Major Thoroughfare tax levy.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline