MDAC opens new agritourism promotion program
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 15,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce (MDAC) has launched its new Agritourism Registration Program. This program is part of the recently passed Senate Bill 2439, which was enacted to provide limited liability to persons engaged in agritourism activities. Under state law, agritourism operations that register with MDAC and that meet certain signage requirements advising visitors of the inherent risks of participating in agritourism activities will be provided with limited liability.
“The Agritourism Registration Program will have a significant impact on agritourism in our state as liability issues have created challenges for many of our operations in the past. An increasing number of working farms and other agricultural enterprises are beginning to incorporate agritourism activities into their operations making it one of the fastest growing sectors in agriculture and tourism in our state. By becoming registered with the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, agritourism professionals are protecting their agritourism operation, as well as the many people who visit the farms for adventure and the pleasure of experiencing farm life at its best,” said Agriculture Commissioner Cindy Hyde-Smith.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip