MDEQ lifts numerous beach closures; issues new one
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 15,2012
Tags: beach, contact, environment, fish, fishing, flood, flooding, health, hurricane, outdoors, outside, pollution, public health, rain, sewage, sewer, state agecny, storm, storm surge, swim, swimmer, swimming, tropical, Weather, wind
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has lifted several post-Hurricane Isaac beach closures on the Coast, but issued a new one for a stretch of beach in Biloxi.
MDEQ has lifted beach closures issued August 31 for the following monitoring stations in Hancock and Harrison counties:
• Station 1 — Lakeshore Beach near Lakeshore Drive in Bay St. Louis; from the Sliver Slipper Casino eastward to the jetty west of Poinset Avenue
• Station 2 — Buccaneer State Park Beach near State Park Road in Waveland; from 100 yards west of the sign eastward to 100 yards east of the sign
• Station 3 — Waveland Beach near Vacation Lane in Waveland; from Oak Boulevard eastward to Favre Street
• Station 4 — Bay St. Louis Beach near St. Charles Street in Bay St. Louis; from the box culvert eastward to Ballantine Street
• Station 7 — Pass Christian East Beach near Shadow Lawn Avenue in Pass
Christian; from Espy Avenue eastward to Hayden Avenue.
MDEQ has also issued a precautionary beach closure for a section of beach in Biloxi.
Last weekend, the City of Biloxi reported a sewage bypass at U.S. 90 and Gateway Boulevard. The city’s pump station is back on line, but the sewage overflow entered the storm drain system and discharged along the beach.
The closure extends for a section of beach from Mockingbird Lane on the west to Edgewater Drive. This area includes Beach Station 11A at Edgewater Beach.
MDEQ reports it would monitor the waters and lift the closure when samples indicate the water is safe for water contact recreation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- South's oldest casino to reopen as Golden Nugget
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Doctor appeals Medicaid, Medicare fraud conviction
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Appeals panel rules against town in race discrimination case
- Entrepreneurs want ordinance change to add micro-brewery