MDEQ lifts numerous beach closures; issues new one
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 15,2012
Tags: beach, contact, environment, fish, fishing, flood, flooding, health, hurricane, outdoors, outside, pollution, public health, rain, sewage, sewer, state agecny, storm, storm surge, swim, swimmer, swimming, tropical, Weather, wind
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has lifted several post-Hurricane Isaac beach closures on the Coast, but issued a new one for a stretch of beach in Biloxi.
MDEQ has lifted beach closures issued August 31 for the following monitoring stations in Hancock and Harrison counties:
• Station 1 — Lakeshore Beach near Lakeshore Drive in Bay St. Louis; from the Sliver Slipper Casino eastward to the jetty west of Poinset Avenue
• Station 2 — Buccaneer State Park Beach near State Park Road in Waveland; from 100 yards west of the sign eastward to 100 yards east of the sign
• Station 3 — Waveland Beach near Vacation Lane in Waveland; from Oak Boulevard eastward to Favre Street
• Station 4 — Bay St. Louis Beach near St. Charles Street in Bay St. Louis; from the box culvert eastward to Ballantine Street
• Station 7 — Pass Christian East Beach near Shadow Lawn Avenue in Pass
Christian; from Espy Avenue eastward to Hayden Avenue.
MDEQ has also issued a precautionary beach closure for a section of beach in Biloxi.
Last weekend, the City of Biloxi reported a sewage bypass at U.S. 90 and Gateway Boulevard. The city’s pump station is back on line, but the sewage overflow entered the storm drain system and discharged along the beach.
The closure extends for a section of beach from Mockingbird Lane on the west to Edgewater Drive. This area includes Beach Station 11A at Edgewater Beach.
MDEQ reports it would monitor the waters and lift the closure when samples indicate the water is safe for water contact recreation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money