Delta casino laying off unspecified number of workers
Published: October 17,2012
TUNICA — The Fitz Casino & Hotel Tunica has laid off an unspecified number of employees, citing a soft economy, seasonal fluctuations and increased competition.
General manager Chuck Miller declined to say how many employees were let go or how many remain. The casino reported 669 employees to the Mississippi Gaming Commission June 30.
A company statement said laid-off workers received severance and are eligible for future rehiring.
Majestic Star owns the former Fitzgerald’s, as well as two casinos in its name in Gary, Ind. Majestic Star left bankruptcy in December owned by ex-lenders, with Minnesota-based Wayzata Investment Partners the largest shareholder.
Majestic Star sold a Colorado casino for $28 million in May.
Mississippi’s 17 river casinos have reported barely higher revenue over the last year, despite recovery from 2011′s flood.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill