Delta casino laying off unspecified number of workers
Published: October 17,2012
TUNICA — The Fitz Casino & Hotel Tunica has laid off an unspecified number of employees, citing a soft economy, seasonal fluctuations and increased competition.
General manager Chuck Miller declined to say how many employees were let go or how many remain. The casino reported 669 employees to the Mississippi Gaming Commission June 30.
A company statement said laid-off workers received severance and are eligible for future rehiring.
Majestic Star owns the former Fitzgerald’s, as well as two casinos in its name in Gary, Ind. Majestic Star left bankruptcy in December owned by ex-lenders, with Minnesota-based Wayzata Investment Partners the largest shareholder.
Majestic Star sold a Colorado casino for $28 million in May.
Mississippi’s 17 river casinos have reported barely higher revenue over the last year, despite recovery from 2011′s flood.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement