Delta casino laying off unspecified number of workers
by Associated Press
Published: October 17,2012
TUNICA — The Fitz Casino & Hotel Tunica has laid off an unspecified number of employees, citing a soft economy, seasonal fluctuations and increased competition.
General manager Chuck Miller declined to say how many employees were let go or how many remain. The casino reported 669 employees to the Mississippi Gaming Commission June 30.
A company statement said laid-off workers received severance and are eligible for future rehiring.
Majestic Star owns the former Fitzgerald’s, as well as two casinos in its name in Gary, Ind. Majestic Star left bankruptcy in December owned by ex-lenders, with Minnesota-based Wayzata Investment Partners the largest shareholder.
Majestic Star sold a Colorado casino for $28 million in May.
Mississippi’s 17 river casinos have reported barely higher revenue over the last year, despite recovery from 2011′s flood.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker