Delta casino laying off unspecified number of workers
by Associated Press
Published: October 17,2012
TUNICA — The Fitz Casino & Hotel Tunica has laid off an unspecified number of employees, citing a soft economy, seasonal fluctuations and increased competition.
General manager Chuck Miller declined to say how many employees were let go or how many remain. The casino reported 669 employees to the Mississippi Gaming Commission June 30.
A company statement said laid-off workers received severance and are eligible for future rehiring.
Majestic Star owns the former Fitzgerald’s, as well as two casinos in its name in Gary, Ind. Majestic Star left bankruptcy in December owned by ex-lenders, with Minnesota-based Wayzata Investment Partners the largest shareholder.
Majestic Star sold a Colorado casino for $28 million in May.
Mississippi’s 17 river casinos have reported barely higher revenue over the last year, despite recovery from 2011′s flood.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software