University wants to buy old Whirlpool plant for $20M
Published: October 17,2012
Tags: acquisition, appliances, appropriation, budget, facility, goods, higher education, home appliances, hub, Lamar County School Board, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, plant, public, purchase, recreation, school, state agency, transportation, university
OXFORD — The University of Mississippi wants to spend $20 million to transform the former Whirlpool plant into a recreation facility and transportation hub.
The Oxford Eagle reports the project is part of a $95-million wish list Ole Miss has presented to the state College Board.
Ole Miss bought the 69-acre site for $3.4 million about two years ago. Whirlpool, which at one time employed hundreds at its Oxford plant, closed the facility in 2009.
Ole Miss architect Ian Banner says planning is in the early stages.
Colleges throughout the state recently submitted their list of future projects to the College Board.
Banner says all universities are asked to give the board with a prioritized list of top projects in need of state funding.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015