MDOT denies Natchez riverfront park grant
by Ross Reily
Published: October 24,2012
NATCHEZ — Plans for a riverfront park near Magnolia Bluffs Casino could now be dead since the Mississippi Department of Transportation denied a grant application for the $2.5 million park from the city of Natchez.
City Engineer David Gardner says MDOT denied the application because the park did not qualify for the transportation enhancement funds for which the city applied.
The plans included an amphitheater, an in-ground spray fountain, lawn area, a boardwalk connecting to the Natchez Trails Project, playground and garden area.
Premier Gaming Group President Kevin Preston, whose company is developing the casino, said the decision of whether to continue with plans for the park is up to the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41