MDOT denies Natchez riverfront park grant
by Ross Reily
Published: October 24,2012
NATCHEZ — Plans for a riverfront park near Magnolia Bluffs Casino could now be dead since the Mississippi Department of Transportation denied a grant application for the $2.5 million park from the city of Natchez.
City Engineer David Gardner says MDOT denied the application because the park did not qualify for the transportation enhancement funds for which the city applied.
The plans included an amphitheater, an in-ground spray fountain, lawn area, a boardwalk connecting to the Natchez Trails Project, playground and garden area.
Premier Gaming Group President Kevin Preston, whose company is developing the casino, said the decision of whether to continue with plans for the park is up to the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters