MDOT denies Natchez riverfront park grant
by Ross Reily
Published: October 24,2012
NATCHEZ — Plans for a riverfront park near Magnolia Bluffs Casino could now be dead since the Mississippi Department of Transportation denied a grant application for the $2.5 million park from the city of Natchez.
City Engineer David Gardner says MDOT denied the application because the park did not qualify for the transportation enhancement funds for which the city applied.
The plans included an amphitheater, an in-ground spray fountain, lawn area, a boardwalk connecting to the Natchez Trails Project, playground and garden area.
Premier Gaming Group President Kevin Preston, whose company is developing the casino, said the decision of whether to continue with plans for the park is up to the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation