MDOT denies Natchez riverfront park grant
by Ross Reily
Published: October 24,2012
NATCHEZ — Plans for a riverfront park near Magnolia Bluffs Casino could now be dead since the Mississippi Department of Transportation denied a grant application for the $2.5 million park from the city of Natchez.
City Engineer David Gardner says MDOT denied the application because the park did not qualify for the transportation enhancement funds for which the city applied.
The plans included an amphitheater, an in-ground spray fountain, lawn area, a boardwalk connecting to the Natchez Trails Project, playground and garden area.
Premier Gaming Group President Kevin Preston, whose company is developing the casino, said the decision of whether to continue with plans for the park is up to the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program