Missing woman suspected of embezzlement arrested in Texas
Published: October 26,2012
HAZLEHURST — A Central Mississippi sheriff says a local woman wanted for embezzlement has been arrested in East Texas.
Linda Gale Reed disappeared in late April and her relatives feared she might be dead.
Reed, 65, was picked up yesterday morning in Longview, Texas, and was in jail last night in Copiah County.
Copiah County Sheriff Harold Jones said Reed had been working as a bookkeeper in Longview, Texas, using her real name and Social Security number.
Jones said Reed is accused of embezzling $20,000 from her Mississippi employer, Moore’s Fabrications. She had worked for the company since 1999. Jones said last week that an accountant hired by the company and a FBI forensic accountant found the money missing from a 2010 petty cash fund and that Reed had “sole control” of petty cash.
Reed had lived in a mobile home behind the business in Gallman during work weeks and went home on weekends to Carrollton, about 125 miles to the north.
She was reported missing after she didn’t show up for work April 30. Her SUV was found later that day on a logging road not far off Interstate 55 near Crystal Springs, about 25 miles south of Jackson.
Jones said last week that authorities had changed Reed’s status from missing to wanted for embezzlement.
He said yesterday that she is in good health.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year