Missing woman suspected of embezzlement arrested in Texas
Published: October 26,2012
HAZLEHURST — A Central Mississippi sheriff says a local woman wanted for embezzlement has been arrested in East Texas.
Linda Gale Reed disappeared in late April and her relatives feared she might be dead.
Reed, 65, was picked up yesterday morning in Longview, Texas, and was in jail last night in Copiah County.
Copiah County Sheriff Harold Jones said Reed had been working as a bookkeeper in Longview, Texas, using her real name and Social Security number.
Jones said Reed is accused of embezzling $20,000 from her Mississippi employer, Moore’s Fabrications. She had worked for the company since 1999. Jones said last week that an accountant hired by the company and a FBI forensic accountant found the money missing from a 2010 petty cash fund and that Reed had “sole control” of petty cash.
Reed had lived in a mobile home behind the business in Gallman during work weeks and went home on weekends to Carrollton, about 125 miles to the north.
She was reported missing after she didn’t show up for work April 30. Her SUV was found later that day on a logging road not far off Interstate 55 near Crystal Springs, about 25 miles south of Jackson.
Jones said last week that authorities had changed Reed’s status from missing to wanted for embezzlement.
He said yesterday that she is in good health.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement