Corps beginning work on levee-raising project
Published: October 29,2012
ISSAQUENA COUNTY — Work to raise 4.7 miles of the Mississippi River levee in Issaquena County is beginning and should take a year to complete, the Army Corps of Engineers says.
Raising the levee southwest of Onward requires asphalt to be removed from Highway 465 where part of the levee crests, the corps tells The Vicksburg Post.
Detour signs will be posted, but access for local residents is not expected to be affected.
The reconstruction work is north of Lake Albemarle, near where 1,500 feet of earth was reinforced after the Mississippi River flood of 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions