Corps beginning work on levee-raising project
by Associated Press
Published: October 29,2012
ISSAQUENA COUNTY — Work to raise 4.7 miles of the Mississippi River levee in Issaquena County is beginning and should take a year to complete, the Army Corps of Engineers says.
Raising the levee southwest of Onward requires asphalt to be removed from Highway 465 where part of the levee crests, the corps tells The Vicksburg Post.
Detour signs will be posted, but access for local residents is not expected to be affected.
The reconstruction work is north of Lake Albemarle, near where 1,500 feet of earth was reinforced after the Mississippi River flood of 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years