Corps beginning work on levee-raising project
Published: October 29,2012
ISSAQUENA COUNTY — Work to raise 4.7 miles of the Mississippi River levee in Issaquena County is beginning and should take a year to complete, the Army Corps of Engineers says.
Raising the levee southwest of Onward requires asphalt to be removed from Highway 465 where part of the levee crests, the corps tells The Vicksburg Post.
Detour signs will be posted, but access for local residents is not expected to be affected.
The reconstruction work is north of Lake Albemarle, near where 1,500 feet of earth was reinforced after the Mississippi River flood of 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal