Corps sends personnel to areas affected by Sandy
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 2,2012
VICKSBURG — The Federal Emergency Management Agency has tasked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to assist with the disaster relief mission underway in the areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Three Vicksburg District employees, Jasper Lummus, Greg Williams and Lamar Jenkins are onsite serving as subject matter experts for debris removal efforts in Philadelphia, Pa., and Colt Neck, N.J.
Jasper Lummus and Greg Williams work in the Vicksburg District River Engineering and Design Branch while Lamar Jenkins is the deputy engineer in the Vicksburg District Greenwood Area Office. These team members have extensive expertise in disaster recovery efforts with previous missions in Joplin, Mo., Smithville and Hurricane Katrina.
Also tasked with the Hurricane Sandy recovery mission is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Dewatering Team. This team is being led by Alvin Lee from the Mississippi Valley Division. The Mississippi Valley Division established the Dewatering Task Force in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 to remove trapped or contained floodwaters from flood-affected areas. This team consists of Corps civilian professionals with expertise in civil, electrical, mechanical and hydraulic engineering, contracting, emergency management and public affairs. The mission of the Task Force is to remove water from the subways and low areas in New York City and New Jersey and set the conditions for traditional recovery operations.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey