Settlement checks coming, but Hosemann ‘disappointed’ in SEC
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 2,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The state securities regulators from Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee are notifying investors entitled to reimbursement from the recent Morgan Keegan settlement that their states’ fund distribution checks will be mailed Nov. 5.
A.B. Data, Ltd., as the fund administrator, will be mailing checks to all investors who filed an approved eligible claim within the claim filing period.
“Mississippi was a leader in the initial investigation, and we are pleased to see our efforts come to fruition. The Secretary of State’s Office was able to return more than $5 million to Mississippi investors,” said Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.
The settlement funds were not allocated by state, but rather, by investors who filed eligible claims. The Secretary of State’s Office made numerous attempts via electronic mail, United States mail and telephone to encourage Mississippi investors to file a claim to the states’ fund. As part of the settlement agreement, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) will distribute additional settlement funds in the future.
“As pleased as we are to have recouped this large amount of settlement funds for Mississippians from the states’ fund, we are equally disappointed the SEC has yet to begin the distribution of the other half of the settlement funds to investors,” Hosemann said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy