Mayor won’t seek second term; wants to return to store
Published: November 5,2012
TUPELO — Mayor Jack Reed Jr. says he won’t run for a second term.
He announced his decision not to run next year in a full-page ad in the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
Reed says his reasons include wanting more time with his family and returning to work at his family business, Reed’s Department Store.
Since taking office in July 2009, Reed has made many changes in city government. His ad mentioned some, including Sunday alcohol sales and a recurring neighborhood revitalization fund.
During his first year, he was criticized after police rehired assistant chief Robert Hall, who had resigned in 2006 after pleading guilty to misdemeanors. Reed denied having any direct part in that decision. The state refused to reinstate Hall’s police certification, and he resigned again.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'