Utility’s earnings take big hit during third quarter
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 5,2012
NEW ORLEANS — Entergy Corporation reported third quarter 2012 as-reported earnings of $337.1 million, or $1.89 per share, compared with $628.1 million, or $3.53 per share, for third quarter 2011. On an operational basis, Entergy’s third quarter 2012 earnings were $347.7 million, or $1.95 per share, compared with $628.1 million, or $3.53 per share, in third quarter 2011.
Entergy said utility earnings were lower due largely to the absence of the net earnings benefit associated with an August 2011 Internal Revenue Service settlement and higher non-fuel operation and maintenance expense. Entergy Wholesale Commodities earnings decreased due primarily to lower net revenue and higher non-fuel operation and maintenance expense, partially offset by a lower effective income tax rate. Parent & Other results declined due primarily to higher income tax expense on Parent & Other activities.
“While our near-term financial results and outlook continue to reflect the current low commodity price environment, we remained focused on managing all aspects of our business that we can control day-to-day in a safe and efficient manner,” said J. Wayne Leonard, Entergy’s chairman and CEO.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access