Utility’s earnings take big hit during third quarter
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 5,2012
NEW ORLEANS — Entergy Corporation reported third quarter 2012 as-reported earnings of $337.1 million, or $1.89 per share, compared with $628.1 million, or $3.53 per share, for third quarter 2011. On an operational basis, Entergy’s third quarter 2012 earnings were $347.7 million, or $1.95 per share, compared with $628.1 million, or $3.53 per share, in third quarter 2011.
Entergy said utility earnings were lower due largely to the absence of the net earnings benefit associated with an August 2011 Internal Revenue Service settlement and higher non-fuel operation and maintenance expense. Entergy Wholesale Commodities earnings decreased due primarily to lower net revenue and higher non-fuel operation and maintenance expense, partially offset by a lower effective income tax rate. Parent & Other results declined due primarily to higher income tax expense on Parent & Other activities.
“While our near-term financial results and outlook continue to reflect the current low commodity price environment, we remained focused on managing all aspects of our business that we can control day-to-day in a safe and efficient manner,” said J. Wayne Leonard, Entergy’s chairman and CEO.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation