FEMA lowers homeowners’ cost-share for retrofits
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 6,2012
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Residents in Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties can now save more money to protect their homes from wind damage if they participate in the Coastal Retrofit Mississippi Initiative, according to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA).
The Federal Emergency Management Agency lowered the homeowner cost-share for participants from 25 percent to 10 percent of the standard package cost. This means that 90 percent of the standard package retrofit will be paid by the grant, with the other 10 percent the responsibility of the homeowner.
FEMA also approved the inclusion of additional retrofits such as gable outlookers and ridge and off-ridge vents, which allows MEMA to offer a package that parallels the Institute for Business and Home Safety Fortified Home bronze level. Residents who have already participated in the program at the 25 percent cost-share, will be contacted by program staff, and reimbursed the appropriate cost share reduction.
The Coastal Retrofit Mississippi project is a $27-million grant funded project, through FEMA, to help homeowners strengthen their homes against wind damage. Phase one of the project will provide grants to homeowners in Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties who at a minimum meet the following qualifications: Owner-occupied single family structures; owners have a current homestead exemption; homes meet or exceed FEMA’s required Benefit Cost Analysis ratio; homes are site built and mounted on a secure foundation.
For more information, visit www.coastalretrofitms.org or call (228) 432-3143.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters