Officials to gauge interest in container-on-barge services
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2012
TUPELO and MOBILE, Ala. — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is encouraging all interested stakeholders to attend two upcoming open house events sponsored by the Tenn-Tom Waterway Authority in Tupelo and Mobile, Ala.
In an effort to generate interest from potential container-on-barge services for 2013, the Port of Mobile, Port of Itawamba along with Grow Ports and the Maritime Administration will host two open house events for potential customers.
They are hoping to establish a container-on-barge service between Northeast Mississippi and Mobile along the Tenn-Tom Waterway.
All U.S. flag carriers, shippers and related logistic providers are invited to attend. The goal is to begin discussing service options with potential service providers for 2013.
Port Itawamba received a grant in the amount of $1.7 million. The funding will be used to purchase equipment such as barges, tug boat, trucks, chassis, etc. to support the new service.
The Port of Mobile open house is scheduled for Nov. 13 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the International Trade Center, located at 250 North Water Street, Mobile. The Port Itawamba open house is scheduled for Nov. 15 from 9 a.m. to noon at the BancorpSouth Arena, Rooms 4-5, located at 375 East Main Street in Tupelo.
For more information about attending the open house, contact Greg Deakle, executive director of Port Itawamba, at (662) 862-4571, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks