Officials to gauge interest in container-on-barge services
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2012
TUPELO and MOBILE, Ala. — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is encouraging all interested stakeholders to attend two upcoming open house events sponsored by the Tenn-Tom Waterway Authority in Tupelo and Mobile, Ala.
In an effort to generate interest from potential container-on-barge services for 2013, the Port of Mobile, Port of Itawamba along with Grow Ports and the Maritime Administration will host two open house events for potential customers.
They are hoping to establish a container-on-barge service between Northeast Mississippi and Mobile along the Tenn-Tom Waterway.
All U.S. flag carriers, shippers and related logistic providers are invited to attend. The goal is to begin discussing service options with potential service providers for 2013.
Port Itawamba received a grant in the amount of $1.7 million. The funding will be used to purchase equipment such as barges, tug boat, trucks, chassis, etc. to support the new service.
The Port of Mobile open house is scheduled for Nov. 13 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the International Trade Center, located at 250 North Water Street, Mobile. The Port Itawamba open house is scheduled for Nov. 15 from 9 a.m. to noon at the BancorpSouth Arena, Rooms 4-5, located at 375 East Main Street in Tupelo.
For more information about attending the open house, contact Greg Deakle, executive director of Port Itawamba, at (662) 862-4571, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Study says Nissan subsidies total $1.33B; MDA says overestimated
- Renee Flynt made Craftsmen's Guild president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Defunct casino to be moved; cost could rise depending on 'crud'
- Nullification and interposition
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections