Governor, lawmakers meeting on state budget
Published: November 12,2012
JACKSON — Gov. Phil Bryant is meeting with top lawmakers to set an important number for writing a state budget.
Bryant and the Joint Legislative Budget Committee will set a revenue estimate. That’s their best guess of how much money the state will have available to spend during fiscal 2014, which begins July 1.
The estimate is based on Mississippi’s economic performance.
Writing a state budget is a long process. The governor has a deadline this Thursday to release his spending recommendations for education, health care, prisons and other state services. Legislators are scheduled release their own recommendations Dec. 11.
Both outlines will be debated during the legislative session that starts Jan. 8.
The full House and Senate face an April 1 deadline to adopt a final budget.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders