Pine Belt dealerships pitch in to assist Sandy’s victims
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 12,2012
Tags: assistance, automobile, car, charitable giving, charity, dealer, dealership, disaster recovery, donation, donor, giving, hurricane, natural disaster, rain, relief, retail, storm, storm surge, SUV, tornado, truck, van, vehicle, Weather, wind
SOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI — Ford dealerships in the Pine Belt area are sending relief supplies to help Staten Island communities damaged by Hurricane Sandy.
Eighty pallets full of canned goods, diapers, personal care items, blankets, batteries and bottled water, enough to fill a semi-truck trailer, is bound for Dana Ford Lincoln in Staten Island, N.Y. These relief supplies will be provided to the residents of the area while the dealership will serve as a distribution center.
The four participating dealers are Courtesy Ford (Hattiesburg), Pine Belt Ford (Purvis), Woolwine Ford (Collins) and Laurel Ford Lincoln (Laurel).
Jimmy Walker, president of Laurel Ford Lincoln, is coordinating the efforts of the Mississippi dealers. Walker saw news accounts of the disaster and the anguish of the residents of New York, and recalled the need during Hurricane Katrina and the difficulty getting relief supplies to those in the area. His first step was to go to the local Walmart and purchase 2,000 blankets and ship to Dana Ford because he anticipated cold weather would soon hit the Northeast. Following that, he reached out to local Ford dealers in Mississippi. The response was and continues to be overwhelming.
Christian Services is helping to coordinate the effort in Mississippi and Richland-based KLLM Transport Services is donating trucks, fuel and manpower to transport all of the donated items to the dealership in New York.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data