Hospital to focus on replacing equipment, renovating
Published: November 13,2012
GREENVILLE — Delta Regional Medical Center plans to concentrate this year on a long-term replacement of equipment and renovation of its physical plant.
“The plant is wearing out faster than we are putting money back in,” DRMC CEO J. Stansel Harvey told the Delta Democrat Times.
For the 2010-11 fiscal year, the hospital’s property, plant and equipment was valued at $49 million but dropped to $48 million this year.
Harvey said while the hospital was able to buy 104 new patient beds, each costing about $6,000, to replace beds from 1994, other parts of the hospital need to be refurbished.
“The challenge is that we have got to start putting more money back into the plant,” he said.
Harvey said DRMC’s maintenance engineer is working in conjunction with Mills & Mills Architect to assess the hospital’s property and develop a long-term strategic replacement plan to improve the plant.
“We are putting in $3 million a year when we need to be putting in about $10 million,” he said. “Historically speaking, we’ve been taking the profit and putting it back into operations instead of into the plant. … It’s a precarious situation.”
Harvey said $1.4 million of the hospital’s capital budget of $3 million will go toward patient care. He said other areas such as the cafeteria, facilities, furnishings, transportation and plant operations will also receive funding.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- BLAKE WILSON: Danny Mitchell was a remarkable business leader, a better friend
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block