Citing ‘timing issues,’ poultry company nixes N.C. facility
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 14,2012
LAUREL — Sanderson Farms Inc. has decided not to site a new poultry-processing complex in Nash County, N.C.
In a release, Sanderson said it made the decision together with the officials of Nash County as a result of various timing issues.
The poultry company had previously announced that sites in Nash County had been selected for the location of a new poultry processing complex subject to various contingencies. The company also announced that construction of the new complex was on hold pending improvement in market fundamentals, including the supply and price of corn and other feed grains.
Robby Davis, a member of the Nash County Board of Commissioners who was responsible for recruiting Sanderson to the area, said, “While we are disappointed that Nash County will no longer be considered for this project, we understand the need for certainty with respect to Sanderson Farms’ ability to move forward with construction in a timely manner once the other contingencies are met. Unfortunately, various legal challenges will not allow us to meet Sanderson Farms’ schedule without the possibility of delay. We are grateful for the very professional manner in which Sanderson Farms has negotiated with our board and staff during the entire process.”
Joe F. Sanderson, Jr., chairman and CEO of Sanderson Farms, said, “We very much appreciate the hard work of everyone in Nash County who worked diligently to recruit us to the area. We also appreciate the support of the local community and the business and political leaders who welcomed us to Nash County. We remain committed to our growth strategy and, toward that end, have been evaluating and will continue to pursue alternative locations that will enable us to continue our pattern of steady growth as market conditions allow. (This) announcement will affect the location, but not the timing, of the next poultry complex for Sanderson Farms.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits