Two defendants to be arraigned in surplus property case
Published: November 15,2012
Tags: arraign, arraignment, arrest, auditing, auditor, city, court, embezzlement, equipment, government, indictment, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, law enforcement, legal, municipal, municipality, state, steal, stealing, surplus property
BASSFIELD — State Auditor Stacey Pickering says two individuals turned themselves in to the Rankin County Sheriff’s Office last Tuesday following multiple count indictments.
These indictments are a result of the investigation into surplus property purchased by the City of Bassfield and converted to personal use.
Brenda Saulters and Billy Matthews were booked on the charges false pretenses, embezzlement and conspiracy to commit false pretenses.
Saulters and Matthews will be arraigned tomorrow at the Rankin County Circuit Court.
In October 2012, State Auditor’s Office announced the return of 22 pieces of property and equipment improperly obtained by the City of Bassfield back to the State of Mississippi. An investigation earlier this year determined the items were purchased by the city but were intended and later converted to personal use. Items included multiple boats, travel trailers and heavy equipment. Property is valued at $309,228. The City of Bassfield purchased the property and equipment at government discounts for a total of $52,840.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training