McIlwain dies at 71
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 16,2012
Thomas D. McIlwain, a longtime marine biologist, fishery scientist and educator in Mississippi, has died after a three-year battle with cancer. He was 71. McIlwain had a 50-year career in marine biology and spend most of his time at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs. He was the lab director from 1989 to 1994 and retired in 2011.
He was credited with helping it transition from an independent lab to a part of an academic program at the University of Southern Mississippi. He also was known for his work in developing aquaculture programs to raise striped bass for recreational purposes and in shrimp farming.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit
- Blue Origin successfully tests BE-3 rocket engine
- Allain to lie in repose at Capital Friday; funeral Saturday in Natchez
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger