McIlwain dies at 71
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 16,2012
Thomas D. McIlwain, a longtime marine biologist, fishery scientist and educator in Mississippi, has died after a three-year battle with cancer. He was 71. McIlwain had a 50-year career in marine biology and spend most of his time at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs. He was the lab director from 1989 to 1994 and retired in 2011.
He was credited with helping it transition from an independent lab to a part of an academic program at the University of Southern Mississippi. He also was known for his work in developing aquaculture programs to raise striped bass for recreational purposes and in shrimp farming.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency