McIlwain dies at 71
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 16,2012
Thomas D. McIlwain, a longtime marine biologist, fishery scientist and educator in Mississippi, has died after a three-year battle with cancer. He was 71. McIlwain had a 50-year career in marine biology and spend most of his time at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs. He was the lab director from 1989 to 1994 and retired in 2011.
He was credited with helping it transition from an independent lab to a part of an academic program at the University of Southern Mississippi. He also was known for his work in developing aquaculture programs to raise striped bass for recreational purposes and in shrimp farming.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist