Committee recommends more evaluation of university’s athletics
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 19,2012
COLUMBUS — A broad-based committee charged with reviewing the potential for athletic programs at Mississippi University for Women has concluded its work by recommending that the university move ahead with further evaluation.
The committee expressed general support for a return to athletics in some form.
Committee chair Perry Sansing, assistant to the president and university counsel, said that an outline of issues and considerations is currently being prepared.
“The committee raised many questions that now must be studied in-depth, including both programmatic and financial considerations,” he said. “We will now begin a self-study phase that looks at what is feasible and appropriate.
MUW president Jim Borsig has said he supports a return to athletics as part of the on-campus experience. “That may range all the way from club sports to intercollegiate athletics,” he said. “The self-study will tell us more.”
A campus committee will undertake the second phase of the study, Sansing said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments