Committee recommends more evaluation of university’s athletics
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 19,2012
COLUMBUS — A broad-based committee charged with reviewing the potential for athletic programs at Mississippi University for Women has concluded its work by recommending that the university move ahead with further evaluation.
The committee expressed general support for a return to athletics in some form.
Committee chair Perry Sansing, assistant to the president and university counsel, said that an outline of issues and considerations is currently being prepared.
“The committee raised many questions that now must be studied in-depth, including both programmatic and financial considerations,” he said. “We will now begin a self-study phase that looks at what is feasible and appropriate.
MUW president Jim Borsig has said he supports a return to athletics as part of the on-campus experience. “That may range all the way from club sports to intercollegiate athletics,” he said. “The self-study will tell us more.”
A campus committee will undertake the second phase of the study, Sansing said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet