Committee recommends more evaluation of university’s athletics
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 19,2012
COLUMBUS — A broad-based committee charged with reviewing the potential for athletic programs at Mississippi University for Women has concluded its work by recommending that the university move ahead with further evaluation.
The committee expressed general support for a return to athletics in some form.
Committee chair Perry Sansing, assistant to the president and university counsel, said that an outline of issues and considerations is currently being prepared.
“The committee raised many questions that now must be studied in-depth, including both programmatic and financial considerations,” he said. “We will now begin a self-study phase that looks at what is feasible and appropriate.
MUW president Jim Borsig has said he supports a return to athletics as part of the on-campus experience. “That may range all the way from club sports to intercollegiate athletics,” he said. “The self-study will tell us more.”
A campus committee will undertake the second phase of the study, Sansing said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders