State’s unemployment rate dipped in October
Published: November 20,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s unemployment rate dropped slightly to 8.9 percent in October, down 1.3 percent from September.
The report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed 4,300 more people were employed in October than September.
Mississippi had a 9.2 percent jobless rate in September and a 10.7 percent rate in October 2011.
The number of unemployed people fell to about 119,500 in October from 123,000 in September.
Overall, unemployment rates fell in 37 states and the District of Columbia, rose in seven and were flat in six. Nevada had the highest unemployment rate at 11.5 percent, and North Dakota had the lowest at 3.1 percent.
The national unemployment rate rose to 7.9 percent in October, essentially unchanged from September but was 1 percentage point lower than in October 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters