State’s unemployment rate dipped in October
by Associated Press
Published: November 20,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s unemployment rate dropped slightly to 8.9 percent in October, down 1.3 percent from September.
The report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed 4,300 more people were employed in October than September.
Mississippi had a 9.2 percent jobless rate in September and a 10.7 percent rate in October 2011.
The number of unemployed people fell to about 119,500 in October from 123,000 in September.
Overall, unemployment rates fell in 37 states and the District of Columbia, rose in seven and were flat in six. Nevada had the highest unemployment rate at 11.5 percent, and North Dakota had the lowest at 3.1 percent.
The national unemployment rate rose to 7.9 percent in October, essentially unchanged from September but was 1 percentage point lower than in October 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county