Want a bridge? MDOT offering historic one
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 26,2012
LAFAYETTE COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is offering the Mississippi Highway 7 Tallahatchie River Steel Truss Bridge in Lafayette County to the public for relocation, preservation, and maintenance.
Built in 1953, the three-span structure has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge will soon be replaced and because of its historic status must be removed in compliance with federal regulations, MDOT reports.
Interested individuals or organizations may submit relocation and preservation proposals for the truss spans only which will be reviewed by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Federal Highway Administration and MDOT. If a relocation proposal is approved, MDOT will reimburse the recipient the relocation cost provided it does not exceed the estimated cost of the demolition as determined by MDOT. The transfer deed will include preservation covenants, which will require the new owner to preserve and maintain the structure and its architectural elements in accordance with standards established by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior. In addition, potential recipients will assume all legal and financial responsibilities associated with the bridge.
Interested parties should present a formal proposal by Dec. 20 to Mitch Turner, MDOT District Engineer, P.O. Box 660, Batesville, MS 38606, or call (662) 563-4541.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager