Want a bridge? MDOT offering historic one
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 26,2012
LAFAYETTE COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is offering the Mississippi Highway 7 Tallahatchie River Steel Truss Bridge in Lafayette County to the public for relocation, preservation, and maintenance.
Built in 1953, the three-span structure has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge will soon be replaced and because of its historic status must be removed in compliance with federal regulations, MDOT reports.
Interested individuals or organizations may submit relocation and preservation proposals for the truss spans only which will be reviewed by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Federal Highway Administration and MDOT. If a relocation proposal is approved, MDOT will reimburse the recipient the relocation cost provided it does not exceed the estimated cost of the demolition as determined by MDOT. The transfer deed will include preservation covenants, which will require the new owner to preserve and maintain the structure and its architectural elements in accordance with standards established by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior. In addition, potential recipients will assume all legal and financial responsibilities associated with the bridge.
Interested parties should present a formal proposal by Dec. 20 to Mitch Turner, MDOT District Engineer, P.O. Box 660, Batesville, MS 38606, or call (662) 563-4541.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics