Board names acting president at Mississippi Valley State
Published: November 28,2012
ITTA BENA — The state College Board has named Alfred Rankins Jr. as acting president of Mississippi Valley State University.
He was meeting with students, faculty and staff yesrterday in Itta Bena.
In October, the board declined to retain current president Donna Oliver. Her contract runs through Dec. 31, although she is expected to take leave time before then.
Rankins will lead the 2,500-student university while the board seeks a full-time replacement. Interim leaders are generally not considered for permanent posts.
Rankins will be paid $192,937.50, the same yearly salary as Oliver.
Rankins, a Greenville native, is associate commissioner for academic and student affairs for the College Board. He will retain some associate commissioner duties.
He earned a bachelor’s degree from Alcorn State University and master’s and doctoral degrees from Mississippi State University.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center