Board names acting president at Mississippi Valley State
Published: November 28,2012
ITTA BENA — The state College Board has named Alfred Rankins Jr. as acting president of Mississippi Valley State University.
He was meeting with students, faculty and staff yesrterday in Itta Bena.
In October, the board declined to retain current president Donna Oliver. Her contract runs through Dec. 31, although she is expected to take leave time before then.
Rankins will lead the 2,500-student university while the board seeks a full-time replacement. Interim leaders are generally not considered for permanent posts.
Rankins will be paid $192,937.50, the same yearly salary as Oliver.
Rankins, a Greenville native, is associate commissioner for academic and student affairs for the College Board. He will retain some associate commissioner duties.
He earned a bachelor’s degree from Alcorn State University and master’s and doctoral degrees from Mississippi State University.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Friday at Mississippi's Trade Mart