New bypass could open before Christmas
by Associated Press
Published: November 30,2012
CANTON — State transportation officials hope to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas on a $19.3-million bypass to ease traffic rolling through the heart of historic Canton.
The 3.5-mile, four-lane road will connect to the Nissan Parkway at U.S. Highway 51 north of the Nissan plant and run northeast to Mississippi Highway 43.
Construction on the new three-mile road started last summer and the Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall says work will end before Christmas.
Hall tells The Clarion-Ledger a bicycle path will run the length of the road. Hall says he plans to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas if weather permits.
The project initially was developed by the city of Canton. MDOT took over the contract and construction. The project is funded by a federal 80/20 matching grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State