New bypass could open before Christmas
Published: November 30,2012
CANTON — State transportation officials hope to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas on a $19.3-million bypass to ease traffic rolling through the heart of historic Canton.
The 3.5-mile, four-lane road will connect to the Nissan Parkway at U.S. Highway 51 north of the Nissan plant and run northeast to Mississippi Highway 43.
Construction on the new three-mile road started last summer and the Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall says work will end before Christmas.
Hall tells The Clarion-Ledger a bicycle path will run the length of the road. Hall says he plans to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas if weather permits.
The project initially was developed by the city of Canton. MDOT took over the contract and construction. The project is funded by a federal 80/20 matching grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey