New bypass could open before Christmas
Published: November 30,2012
CANTON — State transportation officials hope to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas on a $19.3-million bypass to ease traffic rolling through the heart of historic Canton.
The 3.5-mile, four-lane road will connect to the Nissan Parkway at U.S. Highway 51 north of the Nissan plant and run northeast to Mississippi Highway 43.
Construction on the new three-mile road started last summer and the Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall says work will end before Christmas.
Hall tells The Clarion-Ledger a bicycle path will run the length of the road. Hall says he plans to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas if weather permits.
The project initially was developed by the city of Canton. MDOT took over the contract and construction. The project is funded by a federal 80/20 matching grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill