New bypass could open before Christmas
Published: November 30,2012
CANTON — State transportation officials hope to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas on a $19.3-million bypass to ease traffic rolling through the heart of historic Canton.
The 3.5-mile, four-lane road will connect to the Nissan Parkway at U.S. Highway 51 north of the Nissan plant and run northeast to Mississippi Highway 43.
Construction on the new three-mile road started last summer and the Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall says work will end before Christmas.
Hall tells The Clarion-Ledger a bicycle path will run the length of the road. Hall says he plans to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas if weather permits.
The project initially was developed by the city of Canton. MDOT took over the contract and construction. The project is funded by a federal 80/20 matching grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal