New bypass could open before Christmas
Published: November 30,2012
CANTON — State transportation officials hope to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas on a $19.3-million bypass to ease traffic rolling through the heart of historic Canton.
The 3.5-mile, four-lane road will connect to the Nissan Parkway at U.S. Highway 51 north of the Nissan plant and run northeast to Mississippi Highway 43.
Construction on the new three-mile road started last summer and the Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall says work will end before Christmas.
Hall tells The Clarion-Ledger a bicycle path will run the length of the road. Hall says he plans to have a ribbon-cutting before Christmas if weather permits.
The project initially was developed by the city of Canton. MDOT took over the contract and construction. The project is funded by a federal 80/20 matching grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image