Group releasing hundreds of fingerlings onto reefs
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 5,2012
GULF OF MEXICO — The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL), Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (DMR) and Aqua Green, LLC are partnering to produce popular recreational fish such as spotted seatrout, red snapper and cobia for release into Mississippi waters.
The group is releasing hundreds of red snapper fingerlings onto offshore artificial reefs this week.
The fish were produced at GCRL’s Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center located at its Cedar Point site in Ocean Springs.
GCRL is one of the pioneers in red snapper aquaculture and is currently the only facility in the world actively culturing red snapper. GCRL began investigating aquaculture of this notoriously difficult species more than 10 years ago and released several thousand fish around the year 2000.
In 2011, GCRL, DMR and Aqua Green formed the current partnership with the goal of increasing snapper production and release capability. This event is one of three this year that will result in the release of more than 1000 red snapper, a major first step in the reestablishment of the snapper program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide