Pickering returns funds misused by supervisor to county
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 6,2012
LEAKESVILLE — State Auditor Stacey Pickering has returned $70,280.72 to Greene County following an investigation into supervisors’ misuse of funds used as part of an illegal kickback scheme carried out through a contract for Katrina debris removal and legal expenses.
These funds represent $64,030.72 in principal and $2,146.08 in interest and investigative costs.
Pickering previously returned over $18,000.00 to Greene County.
In May 2011, Pickering issued a demand against Greene County Supervisor Earnest Holder after being found guilty of bribery and conspiracy to commit bribery in April 2011 in the United States District Court, Southern District of Mississippi. An additional $17,200 was recovered from Holder’s home and taken by the FBI. The investigation showed this money was received by Earnest Holder from a contractor that received a debris-removal contract from Greene County Board of Supervisors. Holder was removed from his position as Greene County supervisor May 20.
“This is a step in the right direction,” said State Auditor Stacey Pickering. “The money returned today should help restore the reputation and the integrity of the taxpayers of Greene County following Hurricane Katrina.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form