Thompson to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee
Published: December 6,2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Bennie Thompson is keeping his post as the top Democrat on the U.S. House Homeland Security Committee.
Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California made the announcement yesterday, along with Thompson.
He says in a statement that he hopes homeland security will continue to receive bipartisan support. He also says he wants Congress to produce comprehensive cyber security legislation.
Thompson was chairman of the committee from 2006 to 2010, when Democrats held the House majority. He was first elected in 1993 and is the longest-serving current member of Mississippi’s four-person House delegation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win