Thompson to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee
Published: December 6,2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Bennie Thompson is keeping his post as the top Democrat on the U.S. House Homeland Security Committee.
Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California made the announcement yesterday, along with Thompson.
He says in a statement that he hopes homeland security will continue to receive bipartisan support. He also says he wants Congress to produce comprehensive cyber security legislation.
Thompson was chairman of the committee from 2006 to 2010, when Democrats held the House majority. He was first elected in 1993 and is the longest-serving current member of Mississippi’s four-person House delegation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center