Thompson to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee
Published: December 6,2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Bennie Thompson is keeping his post as the top Democrat on the U.S. House Homeland Security Committee.
Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California made the announcement yesterday, along with Thompson.
He says in a statement that he hopes homeland security will continue to receive bipartisan support. He also says he wants Congress to produce comprehensive cyber security legislation.
Thompson was chairman of the committee from 2006 to 2010, when Democrats held the House majority. He was first elected in 1993 and is the longest-serving current member of Mississippi’s four-person House delegation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015