Thompson to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee
Published: December 6,2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Bennie Thompson is keeping his post as the top Democrat on the U.S. House Homeland Security Committee.
Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California made the announcement yesterday, along with Thompson.
He says in a statement that he hopes homeland security will continue to receive bipartisan support. He also says he wants Congress to produce comprehensive cyber security legislation.
Thompson was chairman of the committee from 2006 to 2010, when Democrats held the House majority. He was first elected in 1993 and is the longest-serving current member of Mississippi’s four-person House delegation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November