Governor sets special election to fill Senate seat
Published: December 7,2012
JACKSON — Gov. Phil Bryant has scheduled a special election for Jan. 15 to fill a vacancy in the state Senate.
The qualifying deadline for candidates for the Senate District 16 election is Dec. 17. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, runoff is Feb. 5.
The winner will complete the expired term of Sen. Bennie Turner, a Democrat from West Point, who died Nov. 27.
Senate District 16 is comprised of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Digital Editions - magazines
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game