Governor sets special election to fill Senate seat
by Associated Press
Published: December 7,2012
JACKSON — Gov. Phil Bryant has scheduled a special election for Jan. 15 to fill a vacancy in the state Senate.
The qualifying deadline for candidates for the Senate District 16 election is Dec. 17. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, runoff is Feb. 5.
The winner will complete the expired term of Sen. Bennie Turner, a Democrat from West Point, who died Nov. 27.
Senate District 16 is comprised of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Nullification and interposition
- Ag officials say late planting reaching historical proportions