Hancock Fabrics’ sales up, but posts loss
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 10,2012
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., during the third quarter ended Oct. 27, recorded net sales of $71.9 million, compared to $70.8 million for the third quarter of last year, and comparable store sales increased 2.3 percent, compared to a 3.5 percent decline in the previous year.
The retailer reports an operating loss of $800,000, compared to operating income of $1.2 million in the third quarter last year. The previous year operating income included a $1-million gain related to a bankruptcy claim settlement.
Net sales for the first 39 weeks of 2012 increased by $5.7 million to $196.3 million, compared to $190.6 million for the first 39 weeks of last year, and comparable store sales improved by 3.6 percent.
Steve Morgan, Hancock Fabrics’ president and CEO, said, “We have now completed 13 consecutive months of positive comps, and as previously announced we have put into place financing with a four-year term. We continue to feel positive about the holiday season based on our Black Friday performance with net sales up 23 percent compared to Black Friday last year and our November performance in general. We plan to stay our course as we go through the fourth quarter and prepare for 2013.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker