Hancock Fabrics’ sales up, but posts loss
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 10,2012
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., during the third quarter ended Oct. 27, recorded net sales of $71.9 million, compared to $70.8 million for the third quarter of last year, and comparable store sales increased 2.3 percent, compared to a 3.5 percent decline in the previous year.
The retailer reports an operating loss of $800,000, compared to operating income of $1.2 million in the third quarter last year. The previous year operating income included a $1-million gain related to a bankruptcy claim settlement.
Net sales for the first 39 weeks of 2012 increased by $5.7 million to $196.3 million, compared to $190.6 million for the first 39 weeks of last year, and comparable store sales improved by 3.6 percent.
Steve Morgan, Hancock Fabrics’ president and CEO, said, “We have now completed 13 consecutive months of positive comps, and as previously announced we have put into place financing with a four-year term. We continue to feel positive about the holiday season based on our Black Friday performance with net sales up 23 percent compared to Black Friday last year and our November performance in general. We plan to stay our course as we go through the fourth quarter and prepare for 2013.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- Leadership in Law nomination form