Hancock Fabrics’ sales up, but posts loss
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 10,2012
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., during the third quarter ended Oct. 27, recorded net sales of $71.9 million, compared to $70.8 million for the third quarter of last year, and comparable store sales increased 2.3 percent, compared to a 3.5 percent decline in the previous year.
The retailer reports an operating loss of $800,000, compared to operating income of $1.2 million in the third quarter last year. The previous year operating income included a $1-million gain related to a bankruptcy claim settlement.
Net sales for the first 39 weeks of 2012 increased by $5.7 million to $196.3 million, compared to $190.6 million for the first 39 weeks of last year, and comparable store sales improved by 3.6 percent.
Steve Morgan, Hancock Fabrics’ president and CEO, said, “We have now completed 13 consecutive months of positive comps, and as previously announced we have put into place financing with a four-year term. We continue to feel positive about the holiday season based on our Black Friday performance with net sales up 23 percent compared to Black Friday last year and our November performance in general. We plan to stay our course as we go through the fourth quarter and prepare for 2013.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county