Daughter announces resignation of supervisor due to health
Published: December 14,2012
JACKSON — Hinds County Supervisor Doug Anderson is resigning after some fellow supervisors questioned if he was too ill to continue serving.
Anderson, a supervisor since 1993, will step down Jan. 1. His resignation was announced by his daughter, Jackie Anderson, at a press conference that her father didn’t attend.
Doug Anderson suffers from diabetes and had two strokes in 2011. He’s frequently missed board meetings and has had trouble speaking at times. Some supervisors have said Anderson’s diminished capacity has allowed other supervisors to manipulate him.
Board president Robert Graham says the board can name an interim replacement by consensus pending a special election on Nov. 5, 2013. If the board can’t agree, Graham says the seat would remain vacant until then.
Anderson was earlier a state representative and senator.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference