Daughter announces resignation of supervisor due to health
Published: December 14,2012
JACKSON — Hinds County Supervisor Doug Anderson is resigning after some fellow supervisors questioned if he was too ill to continue serving.
Anderson, a supervisor since 1993, will step down Jan. 1. His resignation was announced by his daughter, Jackie Anderson, at a press conference that her father didn’t attend.
Doug Anderson suffers from diabetes and had two strokes in 2011. He’s frequently missed board meetings and has had trouble speaking at times. Some supervisors have said Anderson’s diminished capacity has allowed other supervisors to manipulate him.
Board president Robert Graham says the board can name an interim replacement by consensus pending a special election on Nov. 5, 2013. If the board can’t agree, Graham says the seat would remain vacant until then.
Anderson was earlier a state representative and senator.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money