Mayor Davis indicted; accused of misappropriating taxpayer money
Published: December 18,2012
SOUTHAVEN — A North Mississippi mayor has been indicted on three charges related to his alleged misuse of taxpayer money.
Southaven Mayor Greg Davis was indicted today on one count each of embezzlement, false pretense and making fraudulent statements.
Davis has been under scrutiny since November 2011 when the Mississippi Auditor’s office told him to repay $170,000. The amount was later reduced to $158,000.
After news of the spending was revealed, including items bought at a gay sex shop, Davis announced he’s gay and said he and his wife had divorced. Some of the money Davis was ordered to repay went to counseling for his family.
Davis, a Republican, is in his fourth term as mayor.
Messages left today for Davis and his lawyer by The Associated Press weren’t immediately returned.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss