Mayor Davis indicted; accused of misappropriating taxpayer money
Published: December 18,2012
SOUTHAVEN — A North Mississippi mayor has been indicted on three charges related to his alleged misuse of taxpayer money.
Southaven Mayor Greg Davis was indicted today on one count each of embezzlement, false pretense and making fraudulent statements.
Davis has been under scrutiny since November 2011 when the Mississippi Auditor’s office told him to repay $170,000. The amount was later reduced to $158,000.
After news of the spending was revealed, including items bought at a gay sex shop, Davis announced he’s gay and said he and his wife had divorced. Some of the money Davis was ordered to repay went to counseling for his family.
Davis, a Republican, is in his fourth term as mayor.
Messages left today for Davis and his lawyer by The Associated Press weren’t immediately returned.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers