Mayor Davis indicted; accused of misappropriating taxpayer money
Published: December 18,2012
SOUTHAVEN — A North Mississippi mayor has been indicted on three charges related to his alleged misuse of taxpayer money.
Southaven Mayor Greg Davis was indicted today on one count each of embezzlement, false pretense and making fraudulent statements.
Davis has been under scrutiny since November 2011 when the Mississippi Auditor’s office told him to repay $170,000. The amount was later reduced to $158,000.
After news of the spending was revealed, including items bought at a gay sex shop, Davis announced he’s gay and said he and his wife had divorced. Some of the money Davis was ordered to repay went to counseling for his family.
Davis, a Republican, is in his fourth term as mayor.
Messages left today for Davis and his lawyer by The Associated Press weren’t immediately returned.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41