Mayor Davis indicted; accused of misappropriating taxpayer money
by Associated Press
Published: December 18,2012
SOUTHAVEN — A North Mississippi mayor has been indicted on three charges related to his alleged misuse of taxpayer money.
Southaven Mayor Greg Davis was indicted today on one count each of embezzlement, false pretense and making fraudulent statements.
Davis has been under scrutiny since November 2011 when the Mississippi Auditor’s office told him to repay $170,000. The amount was later reduced to $158,000.
After news of the spending was revealed, including items bought at a gay sex shop, Davis announced he’s gay and said he and his wife had divorced. Some of the money Davis was ordered to repay went to counseling for his family.
Davis, a Republican, is in his fourth term as mayor.
Messages left today for Davis and his lawyer by The Associated Press weren’t immediately returned.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip