Constar shutting down facility; 40 employees left jobless
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 21,2012
JACKSON — Constar International, LLC, a global producer of plastic containers for food and beverages that has previously announced its intention to focus on plastic packaging for technologically advanced and specialty applications, is reducing its presence in the commodity carbonated soft drink (CSD) market.
“With a large contract to supply commodity CSD products expiring at the end of 2012, we had to choose between devoting more resources to low value adding activity, or reducing that activity significantly and sharpening focus where we add greater value,” said Constar CEO Andre Laus.
Effective Jan. 1, Constar’s largest supply contract for CSD plastic packaging will expire without renewal and Constar will consequently reduce operations in the two plant facilities that were dedicated to supply under that contract. The plants are located in Jackson and Havre de Grace, Md.
The Jackson plant, which is an injection molding facility, will close at the end of January 2013. Approximately 40 employees will be affected.
The company reports it is meeting with the affected employees and communicating a program of transitional support that includes severance benefits and outplacement assistance.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation