City awards contract for harbor project; repairs piers
Published: December 27,2012
Tags: boat, boater, boatimng, build, city, community development, construction, contractor, damage, destruction, fishing, harbor, municipal, municipality, outdoors, pier, rain, recreation, repair, ski, skiing, storm, storm surge, tourism, tourist, tropical, vacation, visitor, water, Weather, wind
PASS CHRISTIAN —The city of Pass Christian has awarded a $13.8 million contract for the final phase of its harbor expansion project.
The Sea Coast Echo reports the board of aldermen awarded the contract to Silverton Construction of Jackson.
Mayor Chipper McDermott says work on the 10-month contract is expected to begin immediately since Silverton is currently on site completing the harbor breakwater.
The harbor expansion is slated for completion in October of 2013.
Silverton began work in April on the $10.5 million contract for the breakwater that protects the harbor.
Project manager Milady Howard says the work is nearing completion with crews putting concrete caps on the breakwater.
In a separate item, repairs are under way to piers damaged by Hurricane Isaac in Pass Christian.
The Sea Coast Echo reports several piers were damaged at the existing harbor and storm surge swamped the electrical system. With no electricity, boats are leaving the harbor. The board of aldermen refunded three slip rentals this past week.
Mayor Chipper McDermott says repairs the electrical system and to raise the power poles to six feet will cost about $300,000. FEMA is expected to reimburse the city for portions of the project.
He says the power poles are on order and the contractor has about 35 days left in the contract.
McDermott says a commercial pier will be replaced at a cost of $290,000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring