Ballard writing again
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 28,2012
Civil War author, professor and Mississippi State University archivist Michael B. Ballard has turned the page and begun writing another chapter in his own life-retirement. Ballard, whose most recent book “The Civil War in Mississippi: Major Campaigns and Battles” was released in 2011 by University Press of Mississippi, is an MSU doctoral graduate in history, who also earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the university.
In addition to his role as university archivist, Ballard has served as coordinator of the Congressional and Political Research Center in Mitchell Memorial Library. Additionally, he has been the associate editor for publishing projects of the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library, housed in Mitchell Memorial.
The Ackerman native is author of numerous books chronicling Civil War history, with particular focus on Mississippi and its Confederate leaders. Ballard’s works include “Vicksburg: The Campaign That Opened the Mississippi,” “Civil War Mississippi: A Guide,” “A Long Shadow: Jefferson Davis and the Final Days of the Confederacy,” and “Pemberton: The General Who Lost Vicksburg.”
Ballard also is the author of “Maroon and White, Mississippi State University, 1878-2003.” The 402-page book named for his alma mater’s colors and published in 2007 was written as a successor to John K. Bettersworth’s “The People’s University.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate