Hope springs eternal for everyone of us
As I look back at 2012 and forward into 2013, the one thing that keeps coming to mind is hope and one of my favorite movie quotes.
At the end of the movie Shawshank Redemption, Andy Dufresne — in a letter to Red, played by Morgan Freeman — writes “Remember Red, hope is a good thing. maybe the best of good things. and no good thing ever dies.”
It has always been one of my favorite quotes, but it takes on a different meaning for me now, because I see 2012 having been such a divisive year.
So, personally, professionally and politically, I look forward to 2013 with a sense of hope.
>> Hope that I can be a better husband, father and human being.
>> Hope that 2013 brings a sense of normalcy for all who work at the Mississippi Business Journal.
>> Hope for Mississippi that we can put down our petty differences and find common ground for all of our good.
>> Hope for America that we can all appreciate how great our country is even when we disagree with our leaders — Remember Chicken Little.
And this leads me to another one of my favorite movie quotes, which comes from the guru of all gurus — Yoda.
In order for us to have hope we must be able to be open to and affect change for ourselves and our communities and our nation.
“Do or do not; there is no try,” the great Yoda says.
So go forth and be a good force in 2013.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- MSU sets new annual fundraising record of $106M-plus