Challenging market, input costs cut Cal-Maine’s earnings
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 3,2013
JACKSON — Cal-Maine Foods Inc. reported net sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 were $328.9 million, compared with net sales of $290.4 million for the same quarter of fiscal 2012.
The egg company reported net income of $14.3 million, or $0.60 per basic share, for the second quarter, compared with net income of $23.3 million, or $0.97 per basic share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
For the first six months of fiscal 2013, net sales were $601.8 million, compared with net sales of $534.2 million for the prior-year period.
Cal-Maine reported net income of $23.7 million, or $0.99 per basic share, for the first half of fiscal 2013, compared with net income of $26.4 million, or $1.11 per basic share, for the year-earlier period.
Dolph Baker, chairman, president and CEO of Cal-Maine, said, “We are pleased with the continued growth in sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2013; however, our operating results also reflect challenging market conditions and increased input costs.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren