Challenging market, input costs cut Cal-Maine’s earnings
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 3,2013
JACKSON — Cal-Maine Foods Inc. reported net sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 were $328.9 million, compared with net sales of $290.4 million for the same quarter of fiscal 2012.
The egg company reported net income of $14.3 million, or $0.60 per basic share, for the second quarter, compared with net income of $23.3 million, or $0.97 per basic share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
For the first six months of fiscal 2013, net sales were $601.8 million, compared with net sales of $534.2 million for the prior-year period.
Cal-Maine reported net income of $23.7 million, or $0.99 per basic share, for the first half of fiscal 2013, compared with net income of $26.4 million, or $1.11 per basic share, for the year-earlier period.
Dolph Baker, chairman, president and CEO of Cal-Maine, said, “We are pleased with the continued growth in sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2013; however, our operating results also reflect challenging market conditions and increased input costs.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Stabenow, Cochran brace for full Senate vote on Farm Bill
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Keeping Our Eye On Nathan McNeill
- Forward-thinking power companies transform “disruptions” into opportunities
- OUR VIEW: USM makes right call by calling off tornado relief campaign
- WILLOUGHBY: Rubinsky grows First Class Linen from ground up