Officials fire tourism board members over arena allocation
Published: January 3,2013
CORINTH — Corinth and Alcorn County officials have fired members of the local tourism board.
The action came yesterday in a joint meeting of supervisors and city aldermen. It apparently resulted from the failure of the tourism board to follow line items placed in its budget by the city and county.
In particular, officials were upset the tourism board had ignored a $250,000 allocation to the Crossroads Arena.
Corinth Alderman Andrew “Bubba” Labas offered the motion to remove the board members and it passed 9-1.
Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau executive director Kirsty White said the board was considering presenting another budget with $250,000 set aside for the arena. She said the city and county, when it amended the budget in September, did not take into account other contractual obligations of the board.
The fiscal year began Oct. 1.
Labas said a new board should be appointed in a week to 10 days. The tourism board has seven members — one each appointed by the city and county and five appointed jointly.
“I think we as a collective board know enough people that would be qualified,” said Labas. “There may even be some of the existing board members that we may want to reappoint.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form