University’s servers hacked; no data was lost
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 10,2013
STARKVILLE — Mississippi State University was a victim of a cyber-attack to its servers, but no data was lost, the university said.
Sid Salter, MSU director of university relations, said in a statement: “Mississippi State University was the target of a cyber-attack on one of the university’s servers, but a preliminary investigation indicates that no secure data was lost in the incident.
“At approximately 8 a.m. Wednesday (Jan. 9), the website Hack Read News posted that information related to 535 Mississippi State University individuals had been compromised by a hacker. A Brazilian hacker claimed credit for the incident.
“MSU President Mark Keenum was advised of the incident and directed MSU’s chief information officer to launch an investigation into the claim and make a subsequent impact assessment.
“MSU chief information officer Mike Rackley said that a preliminary university investigation revealed that no data of a secure nature — Social Security numbers, credit card information, health information or grades — was compromised. Rackley said most of the information obtained by the hacker is available from existing public domain print or digital university directories.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders