Mayor to nominate late councilman’s widow to fill seat
Published: January 16,2013
BILOXI — Mayor A.J. Holloway says he will nominate Arleen Wall to fill the unexpired Biloxi City Council term of her late husband, Tom Wall.
The Sun Herald reports Holloway said he would make the recommendation at next Tuesday’s meeting. The council must approve his nominee.
Wall died Jan. 7, and the council asked for a moment of silence at the beginning of yesterday’s meeting in his honor.
In other action, the council approved a tax-abatement for Golden Nugget, which is investing $100 million to renovate and enlarge the former Isle Casino Biloxi. The city recently gave Hard Rock Casino the same abatement for the hotel tower it’s building. The tax incentive forgives the additional property tax on the improved value of the casinos for seven years.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate