Mayor to nominate late councilman’s widow to fill seat
by Associated Press
Published: January 16,2013
BILOXI — Mayor A.J. Holloway says he will nominate Arleen Wall to fill the unexpired Biloxi City Council term of her late husband, Tom Wall.
The Sun Herald reports Holloway said he would make the recommendation at next Tuesday’s meeting. The council must approve his nominee.
Wall died Jan. 7, and the council asked for a moment of silence at the beginning of yesterday’s meeting in his honor.
In other action, the council approved a tax-abatement for Golden Nugget, which is investing $100 million to renovate and enlarge the former Isle Casino Biloxi. The city recently gave Hard Rock Casino the same abatement for the hotel tower it’s building. The tax incentive forgives the additional property tax on the improved value of the casinos for seven years.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Stabenow, Cochran brace for full Senate vote on Farm Bill
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- Keeping Our Eye On Nathan McNeill
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- OUR VIEW: USM makes right call by calling off tornado relief campaign
- Forward-thinking power companies transform “disruptions” into opportunities