Mayor to nominate late councilman’s widow to fill seat
Published: January 16,2013
BILOXI — Mayor A.J. Holloway says he will nominate Arleen Wall to fill the unexpired Biloxi City Council term of her late husband, Tom Wall.
The Sun Herald reports Holloway said he would make the recommendation at next Tuesday’s meeting. The council must approve his nominee.
Wall died Jan. 7, and the council asked for a moment of silence at the beginning of yesterday’s meeting in his honor.
In other action, the council approved a tax-abatement for Golden Nugget, which is investing $100 million to renovate and enlarge the former Isle Casino Biloxi. The city recently gave Hard Rock Casino the same abatement for the hotel tower it’s building. The tax incentive forgives the additional property tax on the improved value of the casinos for seven years.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- MSU sets new annual fundraising record of $106M-plus