Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire
Published: January 17,2013
WALTHALL — A predawn fire today has gutted the Webster County courthouse.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9
Eupora Fire Chief Richard Love says the call came in to the Emergency 911 Center about 2:20 a.m. He says the southwest corner of the building showed flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Love says firefighters had the fire out by 7 a.m., but the building is a total loss.
Officials say volunteer fire companies from Walthall, Eupora, Mathiston, Cumberland, Clarkson and Belfountain went to the scene. Fire departments from Choctaw and Calhoun Counties also responded as did ladder trucks from Starkville.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire”
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete