Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire
Published: January 17,2013
WALTHALL — A predawn fire today has gutted the Webster County courthouse.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9
Eupora Fire Chief Richard Love says the call came in to the Emergency 911 Center about 2:20 a.m. He says the southwest corner of the building showed flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Love says firefighters had the fire out by 7 a.m., but the building is a total loss.
Officials say volunteer fire companies from Walthall, Eupora, Mathiston, Cumberland, Clarkson and Belfountain went to the scene. Fire departments from Choctaw and Calhoun Counties also responded as did ladder trucks from Starkville.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal