Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire
Published: January 17,2013
WALTHALL — A predawn fire today has gutted the Webster County courthouse.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9
Eupora Fire Chief Richard Love says the call came in to the Emergency 911 Center about 2:20 a.m. He says the southwest corner of the building showed flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Love says firefighters had the fire out by 7 a.m., but the building is a total loss.
Officials say volunteer fire companies from Walthall, Eupora, Mathiston, Cumberland, Clarkson and Belfountain went to the scene. Fire departments from Choctaw and Calhoun Counties also responded as did ladder trucks from Starkville.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations