Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire
by Associated Press
Published: January 17,2013
WALTHALL — A predawn fire today has gutted the Webster County courthouse.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9
Eupora Fire Chief Richard Love says the call came in to the Emergency 911 Center about 2:20 a.m. He says the southwest corner of the building showed flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Love says firefighters had the fire out by 7 a.m., but the building is a total loss.
Officials say volunteer fire companies from Walthall, Eupora, Mathiston, Cumberland, Clarkson and Belfountain went to the scene. Fire departments from Choctaw and Calhoun Counties also responded as did ladder trucks from Starkville.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data