Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire
Published: January 17,2013
WALTHALL — A predawn fire today has gutted the Webster County courthouse.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9
Eupora Fire Chief Richard Love says the call came in to the Emergency 911 Center about 2:20 a.m. He says the southwest corner of the building showed flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Love says firefighters had the fire out by 7 a.m., but the building is a total loss.
Officials say volunteer fire companies from Walthall, Eupora, Mathiston, Cumberland, Clarkson and Belfountain went to the scene. Fire departments from Choctaw and Calhoun Counties also responded as did ladder trucks from Starkville.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Historic courthouse destroyed in predawn fire”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss