Power strip caused fire that destroyed historic court
Published: January 18,2013
WALTHALL — Authorities say a predawn fire that gutted the Webster County courthouse in Walthall was caused by an electrical short.
Sheriff Tim Mitchell told supervisors an investigation showed yesterday’s predawn fire started when a power strip in a first-floor office on the southwest corner of the building shorted out. Mitchell says the fire marshal’s office says the fire is non-suspicious.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9.
Local officials say damage is minimal to records kept in vaults. There is some heat and water damage. They say computer-related information is secure.
County officials say they are working on bringing in portable office space.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer