Power strip caused fire that destroyed historic court
Published: January 18,2013
WALTHALL — Authorities say a predawn fire that gutted the Webster County courthouse in Walthall was caused by an electrical short.
Sheriff Tim Mitchell told supervisors an investigation showed yesterday’s predawn fire started when a power strip in a first-floor office on the southwest corner of the building shorted out. Mitchell says the fire marshal’s office says the fire is non-suspicious.
The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9.
Local officials say damage is minimal to records kept in vaults. There is some heat and water damage. They say computer-related information is secure.
County officials say they are working on bringing in portable office space.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring