County expected to see wider job-creation efforts
Published: January 21,2013
MADISON COUNTY — After years of being centered largely in the cities of Ridgeland and Madison, significant economic development in Madison County could be spreading out to other areas.
About 1,000 jobs were created in Canton last year when three vehicle brands were added to the Nissan plant, and another 300 jobs are expected when a Wal-Mart Supercenter opens this year, The Clarion-Ledger reported.
Tim Coursey, executive director of the Madison County Economic Development Authority, says a tractor supply store has been built near the Wal-Mart site. Wal-Mart should bring in new customers for area convenience stores and restaurants, he said.
The county also is looking to lure more big employers by establishing a “megasite” where there’s plenty of available land.
Coursey said more details soon will be announced.
Only a handful of sites in Mississippi have earned “megasite” status.
A 60-acre site near the Camden community in northern Madison County could become home to a park including ball fields, walking trails and a lake. Some residents there say the development will bring more business opportunity to a part of the county that remains largely rural, while others worry about park security and potential flooding from the lake.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- College Board gives Keenum contract extension, raise
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for using SkyTel technology
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues