County to build year-round farmer’s market
Published: January 21,2013
CORINTH — Alcorn County is getting a year-round farmer’s market.
The board of the Fulton Drive farmer’s market, where a covered shed is soon to be constructed, has set up operating rules for the site.
The Daily Corinthian reports the decision to move to a 12-month market reflects increasing availability of some crops.
“We do have some individuals that are growing hot house tomatoes. They’ve got tomatoes as we speak,” said Patrick Poindexter, county director for the Mississippi State University Extension Service.
The board also established a permit fee of $25 for producers to participate in the market year-round. The board is also requiring producers to be residents of Alcorn, Tishomingo, Prentiss or Tippah counties. Tennessee counties are excluded.
At the Shiloh Road market, the fee remains $10.
The year-round market could open up new sales for growers.
“This will give farmers and producers the opportunity to market their vegetables throughout the year,” said Poindexter. “We’re looking forward to a good growing year this year.”
The current rules will continue for the Shiloh Road market, which will still open from May to November.
The Alcorn County Board of Supervisors recently approved construction of a covered shed for the Fulton Drive market.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that