City wants to name bridge for late state lawmaker
Published: January 23,2013
Tags: bill, bridge, city government, dead, death, died, elected official, honor, law, lawmaker, legislation, legislative, legislator, Legislature, politician, Politics, public official, recognition, recognize, state government
HOUSTON — The city of Houston has asked the Legislature to name a local bridge for the late state Rep. Billy Bowles.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports aldermen are asking that the Mississippi Highway 15 overpass over Highway 8 east of Houston be named the “William E. ‘Billy’ Bowles Memorial Bridge.”
The city has asked the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors for support.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment