Daughter of late state lawmaker sworn into Senate
Published: January 23,2013
WEST POINT — The newest member of the Mississippi Senate was sworn into office today.
Democrat Angela Turner of West Point won a Jan. 15 special election to succeed her father, the late Sen. Bennie Turner.
District 16 covers all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
Bennie Turner served 20 years in the Senate before he died in late November at age 64. His daughter will fill the final three years of the current four-year term he started.
The new senator’s name has been reported as Angela Turner Lairy, but Senate staffers say she has ordered business cards simply as Angela Turner.
Angela Turner is an attorney, as was her father.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law