Daughter of late state lawmaker sworn into Senate
by Associated Press
Published: January 23,2013
WEST POINT — The newest member of the Mississippi Senate was sworn into office today.
Democrat Angela Turner of West Point won a Jan. 15 special election to succeed her father, the late Sen. Bennie Turner.
District 16 covers all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
Bennie Turner served 20 years in the Senate before he died in late November at age 64. His daughter will fill the final three years of the current four-year term he started.
The new senator’s name has been reported as Angela Turner Lairy, but Senate staffers say she has ordered business cards simply as Angela Turner.
Angela Turner is an attorney, as was her father.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software