Daughter of late state lawmaker sworn into Senate
Published: January 23,2013
WEST POINT — The newest member of the Mississippi Senate was sworn into office today.
Democrat Angela Turner of West Point won a Jan. 15 special election to succeed her father, the late Sen. Bennie Turner.
District 16 covers all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
Bennie Turner served 20 years in the Senate before he died in late November at age 64. His daughter will fill the final three years of the current four-year term he started.
The new senator’s name has been reported as Angela Turner Lairy, but Senate staffers say she has ordered business cards simply as Angela Turner.
Angela Turner is an attorney, as was her father.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program