Daughter of late state lawmaker sworn into Senate
by Associated Press
Published: January 23,2013
WEST POINT — The newest member of the Mississippi Senate was sworn into office today.
Democrat Angela Turner of West Point won a Jan. 15 special election to succeed her father, the late Sen. Bennie Turner.
District 16 covers all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
Bennie Turner served 20 years in the Senate before he died in late November at age 64. His daughter will fill the final three years of the current four-year term he started.
The new senator’s name has been reported as Angela Turner Lairy, but Senate staffers say she has ordered business cards simply as Angela Turner.
Angela Turner is an attorney, as was her father.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lost Pizza discovered — Restaurateurs begin franchising
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Keeping our eye on ... Laurel Donahoo
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets