Daughter of late state lawmaker sworn into Senate
Published: January 23,2013
WEST POINT — The newest member of the Mississippi Senate was sworn into office today.
Democrat Angela Turner of West Point won a Jan. 15 special election to succeed her father, the late Sen. Bennie Turner.
District 16 covers all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee counties.
Bennie Turner served 20 years in the Senate before he died in late November at age 64. His daughter will fill the final three years of the current four-year term he started.
The new senator’s name has been reported as Angela Turner Lairy, but Senate staffers say she has ordered business cards simply as Angela Turner.
Angela Turner is an attorney, as was her father.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson