Delta mayor will not seek re-election; former mayor to run
Published: January 23,2013
ITTA BENA — Mayor Walter Parker says he won’t run for another term.
Parker tells the Greenwood Commonwealth it is time to do something else. The 49-year-old Parker was elected mayor in 2009. Parker works at Mississippi Valley State University.
The filing deadline for city elections is March 8. Party primaries will be held on May 7, and the general election is June 4.
Former Mayor Thelma Collins tells the newspaper that she plans to run again.
Collins started serving as mayor in 1996, serving the last year of Dennis Barlow’s four-year term. She was then elected to a full four-year term.
Collins was defeated in 2001 by J.D. Brasel Jr. and won the mayorship back in 2005. Parker defeated her in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal