Delta mayor will not seek re-election; former mayor to run
Published: January 23,2013
ITTA BENA — Mayor Walter Parker says he won’t run for another term.
Parker tells the Greenwood Commonwealth it is time to do something else. The 49-year-old Parker was elected mayor in 2009. Parker works at Mississippi Valley State University.
The filing deadline for city elections is March 8. Party primaries will be held on May 7, and the general election is June 4.
Former Mayor Thelma Collins tells the newspaper that she plans to run again.
Collins started serving as mayor in 1996, serving the last year of Dennis Barlow’s four-year term. She was then elected to a full four-year term.
Collins was defeated in 2001 by J.D. Brasel Jr. and won the mayorship back in 2005. Parker defeated her in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan