Delta mayor will not seek re-election; former mayor to run
Published: January 23,2013
ITTA BENA — Mayor Walter Parker says he won’t run for another term.
Parker tells the Greenwood Commonwealth it is time to do something else. The 49-year-old Parker was elected mayor in 2009. Parker works at Mississippi Valley State University.
The filing deadline for city elections is March 8. Party primaries will be held on May 7, and the general election is June 4.
Former Mayor Thelma Collins tells the newspaper that she plans to run again.
Collins started serving as mayor in 1996, serving the last year of Dennis Barlow’s four-year term. She was then elected to a full four-year term.
Collins was defeated in 2001 by J.D. Brasel Jr. and won the mayorship back in 2005. Parker defeated her in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location