Delta mayor will not seek re-election; former mayor to run
Published: January 23,2013
ITTA BENA — Mayor Walter Parker says he won’t run for another term.
Parker tells the Greenwood Commonwealth it is time to do something else. The 49-year-old Parker was elected mayor in 2009. Parker works at Mississippi Valley State University.
The filing deadline for city elections is March 8. Party primaries will be held on May 7, and the general election is June 4.
Former Mayor Thelma Collins tells the newspaper that she plans to run again.
Collins started serving as mayor in 1996, serving the last year of Dennis Barlow’s four-year term. She was then elected to a full four-year term.
Collins was defeated in 2001 by J.D. Brasel Jr. and won the mayorship back in 2005. Parker defeated her in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state