Delta mayor will not seek re-election; former mayor to run
by Associated Press
Published: January 23,2013
ITTA BENA — Mayor Walter Parker says he won’t run for another term.
Parker tells the Greenwood Commonwealth it is time to do something else. The 49-year-old Parker was elected mayor in 2009. Parker works at Mississippi Valley State University.
The filing deadline for city elections is March 8. Party primaries will be held on May 7, and the general election is June 4.
Former Mayor Thelma Collins tells the newspaper that she plans to run again.
Collins started serving as mayor in 1996, serving the last year of Dennis Barlow’s four-year term. She was then elected to a full four-year term.
Collins was defeated in 2001 by J.D. Brasel Jr. and won the mayorship back in 2005. Parker defeated her in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain